Monday, May 9, 2011

Mini Cupcake Pin Cushion

I have seen several times now in different magazines this idea of making mini pin cushions using felt so this is my attempt.  I started with the following supplies: 1. 1 1/2" x 12" purple felt (top edge cut with pinking/zig-zag scissors), 2. Small scrap of tan and pink felt, 3. Small seed beads, 4. Small ball of Fiberfill, 5. Medicine cup.
I sewed pin tuck pleats in the felt ever 1/4 inch.  To get the felt in a more cone-like shape (wider at top than the bottom), I stitched just a hair wider seam on the bottom than the top.  This helped match the shape of the cup.  As you can see in the above picture I used the bottom of the cup + 1/4" all the way around as my template for the purple and the top of the cup + 1/2" all the way around as the template for the tan.  I also used the top of the cup for the template of the pink but cut it out with an uneven edge. 
I just kept putting pin-tucks in until it fit around the cup (approx. 10").  
I then Stitched the pink frosting onto the tan circle and hand-stitched some seed beads to look like sprinkles.  I also sewed a basting (longest stitch or gathering stitch) stitch around the edge of the tan and left the thread long to pull and gather.

I then sewed the purple circle to the bottom edge of the purple cup piece.  I forgot to take a picture of this.  You need to place right sides together.  In this case the side that the pleats stick out is the right side.  You may need to do this by hand as it is small and is hard to get under the machine foot.  Once the bottom of the purple cup is attached, hand-stitch the cup closed. 

Place the purple cover on the cup and put a small hand-full of fiberfill in the cup and a small amount in the center of the cupcake on the wrong side.  Pull the top threads of the basting stitches to gather up the edges of the cupcake until it matches the circumference of the top of the cup.  Hand stitch the cupcake to the purple cup and stuff more fiberfill as needed until desired fullness.
This is a fun gift or even a toy for a play-kitchen for kids!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment